Position: Junior Accountant
Deadline: September 25, 2022
Posted: July 4, 2022
Position: Junior Accountant
Company: Lakeview Insurance Brokers Ltd.
About Us: Lakeview Insurance Brokers Ltd. has a proud history that dates back to 1983, with business operations that span across all three Canadian Prairie provinces. With 11 offices across Manitoba, Saskatchewan, and Alberta, the Lakeview Insurance Group of Companies (LIGC) has grown to have a distinctive presence throughout Western Canada providing insurance and financial solutions for individuals and organizations.
Description: Lakeview Insurance is looking for a highly motivated individual to join our Accounting Team. The Junior Accountant position is responsible for much of the transactional accounting for all LIGC offices. This will include Payables, Receivables including Collections, Reconciliations, and some General Ledger maintenance. Although this is an entry level accounting position, the purpose of this role is to enable the incumbent to grow into a higher level accounting role as opportunities present themselves. This position reports to the Corporate Accountant but will also have regular interactions and take direction from the CFO.Education Qualifications:
- High School Diploma
- Post-Secondary Education – Commerce, Management or Accountancy would be an asset
- Enrollment in CPA Professional Education Program
- 2 years of relevant basic book keeping/accounting experience
- Good working knowledge of Broker Management / Accounting Software and its capabilities
- Ability to work well independently with very little direct supervision
- Ability to take direction and communicate progress
- Exceptional organizational skills
- Demonstrated experience with working towards deadlines
- Exceptional interpersonal skills / communication skills that foster a strong team environment
- Ability to keep information confidential
DELIVERABLE 1: PayablesRESPONSIBILITIES:
- Keep track of and pay all required General Trade Payables.
- Prepare all Insurance Company Payables at the end of the month.
DELIVERABLE 2: Receivables and CollectionsRESPONSIBILITIES:
- Prepare and post all bank deposits.
- Post all online payments that have been deposited to the bank.
- Print and route all Customer Statements.
- Ensure that all receivables are collected prior to 60 days.
- Make collection calls when necessary.
- Maintain a current list of all payment plans that have been approved by the CFO.
- Make and post all scheduled credit card and EFT payments.
DELIVERABLE 3: MPI DepositsRESPONSIBILITIES:
- Prepare MPI deposits when in the office.
- This includes making the necessary POS receivable entries, cutting the necessary cheques, and making the necessary GL Journal Entries.
DELIVERABLE 4: ReconciliationsRESPONSIBILITIES:
- Print Bank Statements.
- Prepare all Bank Journal Entries at the beginning of the month.
- Complete Bank Reconciliations.
- Complete all Direct and Agency Bill Insurance Company Statement Reconciliations.
DELIVERABLE 5: General Ledger MaintenanceRESPONSIBILITIES:
- Make the necessary GL Journal Entries as required or requested.
DELIVERABLE 6: Weekend RotationRESPONSIBILITIES:
- Be on the “Non-Autopac” Saturday and Evening rotation.
DELIVERABLE 7: Year-End PreparationRESPONSIBILITIES:
- Understand the nature of accounting and the busyness of preparing to hand over the “books” to the Public Accountants.
- Be willing to work extra hours as necessary to help the Accountant and CFO get the books over to the Public Accountants.
DELIVERABLE 8: Continuous ImprovementRESPONSIBILITIES:
- At all times and with all tasks, continuously seek to improve upon the quality and efficiency of the work performed. This will mean that you will find better ways to do things and to recognize that how it’s always been done is not the best way. We not only welcome suggestions on how we can improve, we expect them.
DELIVERABLE 9: Learn/Support tasks performed by AccountantRESPONSIBILITIES:
- Understand that the goal of this role is to work towards being able to potentially take over from the Accountant when the time comes.
- Learn the functions and tasks performed by the Accountant.
DELIVERABLE 10: Personal/Professional DevelopmentRESPONSIBILITIES:
- Continue to work towards the completion of the CPA designation.
- Take other courses as necessary or requested in order to stay on top of the industry and the accounting function in order to positively impact the work you do.
What We Offer:
- Competitive starting salary
- Extended health & dental benefits plan (50% premium paid)
- Three weeks of vacation plus paid personal days
- Company-matched RRSP program (upon completion of first year)
- Training and development
- Professional development with financial support
If you are a motivated individual, with a strong work ethic, who is interested in joining our team, please email your resume to Keenan Reimer at firstname.lastname@example.org.